Thursday, October 21, 2010

Someone I want in my foxhole

One person who I have a lot of respect for is my high school baseball coach, Jeff Aldridge.  When we chose team captains, he would have us write down three guys each that we would want in our foxhole.  What he meant by that was three people that we knew we could count on if we had to make it out of a battle alive.  This meant the people that we picked weren't necessarily the ones we liked the most or who were the best players (although it was always a bonus if they did fall into these categories), but the ones who were loyal enough and valued the group enough to stay with us for better or for worse.  This is somebody that I would definitely want in my foxhole:
The Nard Dawg
I don't think I've ever met a person as loyal as Nardo.  Nardo is somebody who would do anything for any of his friends.  Whenever something seemed even slightly wrong, he'd immediately check on me to make sure I was okay.  Whenever one of us went into an uncertain situation he'd be right next to us.  He gave everybody a chance, and then he made sure that he had their back forever.  Little things like that seemed insignificant at the time, but looking back, it's amazing how much they can do and how much I value them.  Knowing that there's somebody that cares about you is a feeling that you only realize exists when it disappears. 

This man loves his friends more than just about anything in the world, which I'm sure the rest of us wish we could truly say.  No matter how much love I throw at Nardo, he always throws back more, but I guess I can still try.  If I'm ever in a foxhole I want Nardo there next to me, because I know that he'd be more willing to go down himself to get me out than to get out himself.  That's the best kind of friend and the best kind of person, and I can only hope he realizes how highly I think of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment