Monday, November 1, 2010

A thank you note

Dear University of Notre Dame,

It's been a tough week, and even though it's getting back to normal, I'm not sure we're all the way there, not that we should be.  After recent events it's actually kind of shocking that we're not more thrown off.  Anyway, I'd like to thank you for being you.

College is supposed to be a buffer between childhood and the real world, and it is for the most part, but there are times that it feels like we've been launched into adulthood way too soon.  Stress builds up, schoolwork is daunting, sleep gets pushed to the wayside, and time seems to accelerate to incredible speeds.  Frankly, it sucks.  Fortunately, you've been able to counteract that in a bunch of ways, but mostly just by feeling like home.

Being a part of a community is priceless.  Having people to relate to, people who are in the same boat as you, people who have your back, people who understand what's going on in your life, your struggles and successes, is an unparalleled feeling.  Looking back at the major events of my life, it's not really the events that I miss, but the people associated with those events.  I miss the interactions, I miss overcoming adversity with them, I miss the inside jokes and the support system and the way that I learned about them in a way that can only happen from interacting with someone.  The reason I miss playing competitive sports so much is that I miss my teammates and I miss being on a team.  That's a special bond that doesn't compare to much.  On a team, everybody is on the same level and looking for the same thing, even though they can be totally different people, from totally different backgrounds, with totally different personalities.  That feeling is hard to replicate.

That's where you come in, Notre Dame.  You've given me that same sense of belonging.  This place is definitely home to me.  It's not my only home, but it definitely is a home, and I'm surrounded by family.  The dorms are homes, roommates are brothers, and rectors are fathers.  The pride that everyone has in this place is what makes us all stand up for it to the level that we do and what makes us back each other up in the way that we do.  No matter what goes on, somebody has your back, and knowledge of that is extremely comforting.  Thanks for that Notre Dame, I really appreciate it.  Even though sometimes you throw me into the fire that is the responsibility of adulthood, I'm glad that you always have someone to jump in after me.

Even though it's been a hard past couple of days, we're gonna bounce back.  I promise.  That's what families do for each other.  We help each other through tough times like this.  You've always helped all of us when we're down, so we're all going to have to help each other, and help you, since you're down.  We'll get back there.  We owe it to you.

Love,
Young William

No comments:

Post a Comment